Losing your teeth can be a disheartening experience. Unfortunately, with the widespread nature of dental health issues such as gum disease, tooth decay, and others, teeth loss can affect anyone. Luckily, losing your teeth is not the end of things; it is possible to replace them using various dental devices. At The Dentists at North Cypress, we offer several tooth replacement solutions, top among them being dental implants.
Dental implants are artificial teeth that are used to replace missing teeth. The implants feature an artificial root (titanium or zirconia frame) and a prosthetic crown shaped just like a natural tooth and usually made of ceramic. The implants can either be permanent or removable.
Dental implants work just like the natural teeth, with the only difference being that they are artificial. The root (metal frame) is surgically implanted into the jawbone, where it fuses with it. As a result, it offers strong support for the crown, just like the root of a natural tooth.
The crown, on the other hand, is made of a strong ceramic material and is shaped just like your teeth, thus making it almost indistinguishable from the other natural teeth. A connector (abutment) is used to connect the crown to the metal post, which offers a strong and secure fitting.
Anyone with missing teeth can get dental implants. However, there are certain factors that can affect the successful placement of the implants. They are best suited for people with:
• Healthy gums to support the crown and avoid infection of the implants (in case of gum disease).
• Enough jawbone to hold the implant. The jawbone should also be healthy and strong enough to offer proper support to the implant.
• Good overall health—medical conditions such as diabetes and heart disease, as well as medications and medical procedure conducted to treat these conditions (for example radiography) can affect the dental health and lead to implant failure.
• Good oral hygiene—poor oral hygiene (before and after the placement of the implants) can lead to dental health issues that can cause implant failure.
Dental implants are a great option for replacing lost teeth. They can offer several benefits such as:
• Improving your overall facial appearance—dental implants replace missing teeth and help to prevent further loss of jawbone (which can occur due to missing teeth). The implants also look and feel like your natural teeth. Therefore, they help to restore the functionality and appearance of your oral structure.
• The proper functioning of your mouth—other teeth replacement options, for example, dentures, have some drawbacks that can cause problems such as poor speech, problems with eating, and so on. However, dental implants are permanent and fit perfectly and securely in your mouth. Therefore, you do not have to worry about reduced oral functionality.
• Long-lasting tooth loss solution—dental implants are durable and can last several years, or even a lifetime. Therefore, they offer a long lasting solution for your missing teeth.
• A huge boost in confidence—the improved appearance, combined with the ease and comfort of using the teeth, can do great wonders to your smile. This can give you a huge boost in your confidence, allowing you to interact with other people without having to worry about embarrassing yourself.
If you have a missing tooth or several missing teeth, dental implants are just what you need. Get them today and restore your appearance and smile. Call us, The Dentists at North Cypress, at (281) 664-8100 to find out more information about dental implants.