Do you suffer from dental issues such as tooth decay, broken, fractured, cracked, or chipped teeth, or worn down teeth? Dental fillings are the perfect solution for your situation. With dental fillings, you can restore the functionality and appearance of your teeth, gaining a great smile in the process. At The Dentists at North Cypress, we offer several dental filling options, including composite fillings.
Composite fillings, also known as white fillings, are tooth-colored fillings that are used to repair and restore decayed or damaged teeth. The main difference between composite fillings and other types of dental fillings (cast gold, amalgam, ceramic, etc.) is in the material used. In composite fillings, a mixture of plastic and glass beads are used to make the fillings.
Composite filling procedures are usually carried out in a single visit. The procedure starts with the preparation of the teeth for the fillings, for example, by removing the decaying parts and cleaning the teeth. After the preparation, the filling material is placed, usually in layers with a specialized light being used to harden each layer. After placing all the filling material, it is then shaped (to provide a perfect fit) and afterward, polished to improve the appearance of the teeth and prevent staining and early wear of the filling.
Composite fillings help to fix several teeth problems, just like other dental fillings. They can be used for:
• Chipped teeth
• Fixing gapped teeth—with large spaces between teeth
• Cracked or broken teeth
• Worn out teeth—due to grinding or poor eating habits such as chewing hard
• Decayed teeth
However, since composite fillings have a natural tooth color (white), they can also be used for cosmetic reasons such as improving the color of your teeth.
Composite fillings offer several advantages:
• An attractive appearance—the white, tooth-like color of composite fillings offers better aesthetics compared to other dental fillings. Therefore, they are the best option for cosmetic procedures or restorative procedures that focus on the visible parts of the teeth.
• A stronger bonding to the tooth structure—composite fillings create a chemical bond with the structure of the tooth. This bond helps to increase the support of the tooth, thus making it stronger. As a result, the tooth can withstand further problems such as breakage, fractures, and unnatural wear and tear.
• Flexible dental solutions—composite fillings, unlike some dental fillings, can to fix a wide variety of dental issues. You can use them to treat tooth decay, remove stains and discolorations, fix chips, breakage, fractures, and other dental issues.
Composite fillings come with several benefits, but there are some drawbacks, though very minor in nature. To start with, it is possible to experience some slight sensitivity after the procedure. The color of the fillings also makes them more vulnerable to staining, especially if you love indulging in substances such as cigarettes, coffee, and wine.
Decaying or damaged teeth can lead to embarrassing experiences when interacting with people in social situations. However, with composite fillings, you no longer have to worry about the appearance of your teeth when talking or smiling in public. You also get to enjoy strong teeth, which are free of any dental issues. Call us, The Dentists at North Cypress, at (281) 664-8100 for more information on composite fillings.